Mappa del sito
   
CeDOT   Bibliografia Romana   HGIS

Indice dei fascicoli

ROMA MODERNA E CONTEMPORANEA » 1998/1-2 » Conservato e perduto a Roma. Per una storia delle assenze
ISSN 1122-0244

Petrocchi Stefano

Le storie di Sant'Onofrio: un ciclo inedito di pittura del Quattrocento a Roma

pp.167-175, DOI 10.17426/61927

Saggi

Abstract: THE STORIES OF SAINT ONOFRIO: A PREVIOUSLY UNKNOWN CYCLE OF PAINTINGS FROM 14TH CENTURY ROME This essay presents the paintings (previously mentioned only by guide books) that decorated the original façade of the oratory-church built ca. 1430-1440 at the cenoby of Saint Onofrio on the Gianicolo. The work was probably commissioned by Beato Niccolò from Froca Palena, the founder of an eremitic confraternity that merged with the Order of Jerome in 1446. The foundation of the cenoby and its chapel, which later became the central nucleus of the Saint Onofrio complex, have also been ascribed to Beato Niccolò. The cycle of frescoes portrays the life of the eponymous saint before his decision to become a hermit. The poor state of conservation of the frescoes does not, however, hinder the recognition of the depicted scenes of the talent of the artists. This practically unknown cycle of frescoes can certainly be considered- prior to the arrival in Rome of Angelico and Benozzo Gozzoli- one of the most important examples of fourteenth century Roman art.  
Referenze
  • download: n.d.
  • Url: http://croma.uniroma3.it/?contenuto=indice-dei-fascicoli-rmc&idarticolo=50
  • DOI: 10.17426/61927
  • citazione: S. Petrocchi, Le storie di Sant'Onofrio: un ciclo inedito di pittura del Quattrocento a Roma, "Roma moderna e Contemporanea", VI/1-2, pp.167-175, DOI: 10.17426/61927
 
Facebook LinkedIn Twitter

© CROMA, Via Ostiense 139, 00154 Rome, Italy